Sunday, June 2, 2013

Rylens Bedtime Prayer


We always pray at bedtime with Rylen and at the end we always ask God to bless our family members and friends.  He usually repeats the names after us… for example, I’ll say God bless Mommy (Rylen will repeat “mommy”), I’ll say Tristyn (he’ll say “Tristyn), I’ll say Maelyn, (he’ll say Mae Mae), and so on.
Well once in a while and tonight was one of those nights, when I get to the names, instead of repeating the name, he just says “no” every time.   So I stopped and asked him tonight what’s the matter and he says “I don’t wanna to pray”.    So I finish up praying and I say “Rylen, do you know who you talk to when you pray” and without hesitation he says “God”.   I had no idea what a 2 year old might understood about prayer but to hear him say we pray to God, it was a very cool moment for me.
It reminds me of verse in Psalms 116 where the writer talks about God hearing our prayers.  Praise be to God for being someone who loves us enough to hear us when we call out to him. 
I love the Lord, for he heard my voice; he heard my cry for mercy.”  Psalm 116:1

No comments: