Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Flu Shots

Advised to get our flu shots this year, we made a trip to the clinic. When I picked Tristyn up from school and told her that we were going to get flu shots, the tears were immediate. She cried the whole way to the doctor and Maelyn just sat there in sympathetic ignorance listening to her wail and protest the shot. Maelyn speaks up in her loving sisterly voice, "I don't want you to get a shot, Tristyn." To which Tristyn replies rather catty, "You're getting one too, Maelyn." Reality sinks into her otherwise naive brain...and then complete mayhem begins. I have to practically drag them out of the car, into the office. Then Maelyn tries to run out of the room while Tristyn just stands there screaming and crying hysterically. Not one, but two attendants have to practically sit on the girls to administer the shot. Maelyn almost assaults the nurse during the process and then they both choose to step out while Mommy gets hers so they don't have to relive the trauma once again. After we'd been given some suckers and promised gifts from Target on the way home, Tristyn says to me, "It really does just feel like a pinch," and then giggles at the silliness of her earlier behavior. Glad it's over with....I think Daddy is going to be drafted for next time. Tristyn's Daffy Duck band-aid after her flu shot.
Mommy got both band-aids so I could match each of the girls. *smart nurse

Maelyn got Bugs Bunny on hers.

Maelyn's princess crown for surviving. And Tristyn got an American Girl Doll movie.

5 comments:

Kara said...

It's that time of year isn't it- we have that on top of our to do list too!!!
Glad yours are over. Too cute the nurse gave you matching bandaids- good thinking!

Kellenberger Family said...

Haha...that is hilarious!!!

Tamra said...

way tooo funny!! i've been trying to create every excuse possible to avoid getting mine as well, but my doctor and my husband thinks I should still do it since pregnant ladies rate at the top priority list for flu shot distrubution :( Maybe they'll just be out of vaccinations when I get to my dr. appt next week, but if I'm out of luck there, I hope I at least get a cool bandaid too!!!

Lindsay said...

I was rolling with laughter when I read this post. I think Troy owes you big time! But I can totally relate to your girls as my mom tells stories of me doing the exact same thing as a child - they would call all the nurses in the clinic to come in and hold me down! And I still hate needles. :)

Ryan and Becky Weiss said...

Oh...my...word! Too funny!!

Maybe now isn't the time to tell you that our pediatrician offered the flu nasal spray instead of the shot...!