Any school aged child will tell you, the Tooth Fairy is very exciting. Tristyn especially loves it because she has this little tooth treasure chest that she slips under her pillow with her newly fallen out baby tooth inside. When she wakes up, there is her quarter and the treasure chest is ready for the next tooth. This has been going on for several years as she's been losing teeth.
Until this morning....the Tooth Fairy messed up big time.
5:20a - Tristyn gets up to head to the bathroom, which is her ritual every morning, and comes in to say to Troy, "Dad, the Tooth Fairy didn't come last night." Troy sends her back to bed and we begin our morning.
6:10a - Troy is ready to head out and asks me, "Do you think she's asleep enough for me to run her quarter in and put it under her pillow?" My reply, "Absolutely not! She'll wake up and see you, what will you say then?" But he decides to go against my better judgement (the submissive wife that I am, I keep quiet and try to encourage him with some rehearsed responses should she wake up) and off he goes. Back in a few seconds, he says the job was done with minimal movement from Tristyn. But then we hear her in the bathroom...again...when she just went an hour ago...we're hoping maybe she just forgot she just went to the bathroom....hoping...hoping...hoping...and then she's back in bed. We exhale and say our goodbyes for the day.
8:23a - I am downstairs with the kids making coffee. "Hey Tristyn? Did the Tooth Fairy visit you last night?" Pause "Mom, I need to talk to you about something very important." Oh No, here we go. "This morning I...I saw...(chokes up with tears)...I saw Daddy...is the Tooth Fairy real?" Through sobs she tells me that she saw Daddy place her quarter under the pillow and take the tooth from the treasure chest. Nice going Kaeb! She is upset, crying and then asks in horror, "What does Daddy do with all my teeth?"
11:46a - The phone rings. It's the Tooth Dummy, aka Troy Kaeb. "Hey Honey, how's your day going?" Silence. "Did Tristyn say anything about this morning?"
Thank you Troy for another great tragedy in parenting for me to explain away...kind of like earlier this year when you decided that Tristyn needed to hear how Santa Claus isn't real. How much can a young heart take?
I think Mr. Kaeb needs a little visit from the Tooth Extractor Fairy!
Thursday, February 10, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Oh Amity, I am dying laughing!!! I can totally see your 'Tooth Dummy' doing this and see Ryan in the same situation in a few years. Too funny. Though I'm sorry Tristyn had such a rude awakening.
Hilarious!!!
Hey Amity,
Have you thought about telling Tristyn that Tooth Dummy gives the teeth to Papa who can use them?
Papa
This is hilarious...but tragic for poor Tristyn!
Post a Comment