Monday, August 24, 2009

"From my daddy"

You know how some of your childrens' learned traits clearly come from their mother while some clearly come from their father? Well, one example from our family is what happens to food when it accidentally falls on the floor. When Amity and I first started dating and then after we were married, anything that hit the floor was immediately summoned to the trash can, no matter how clean the surface the food landed on was or how long it was there. This bothered me immensely as I hate to see good food go to waste just for landing on the floor. After years of trying, I have been able to somewhat successfully implement the 10 second rule as long as the surface is fairly clean.

Tonight we had just finished dinner. Maelyn had dropped of piece of steak on the carpet near her chair and as we were getting up, Amity asked Maelyn to pick it up and put it on the table. As we (Amity mainly) quite often do, I happened to be near it when Amity mentioned it so I just picked it up and put it back on the table - Amity stops me and says, "I told Maelyn to pick it up, so you should have her do it". So I drop it back on the floor and ask Maelyn to come over and pick it up. So over she comes, picks it up, and just as it was about to go onto the table she looked at it and stuck it in her mouth, finishing it off. Way to go Maelyn!

3 comments:

Jason and Maggi said...

That's pretty cute!

The Kaebs said...

I will add that she ate it off the floor AFTER I (Mom) had left the area! sick.

Lindsay said...

Hehe, that is pretty cute. Way to teach Maelyn your gross 'boy' habits, Troy!