
Normally I hold great respect for my major appliances as they are all fairly dated and continue to work exceptionally well. Once upon a time (in it's prime) my oven was self-cleaning. No more, he's a senior citizen now! And I've let it get pretty nasty. So I decided to celebrate President's Day in the oven...literally because my arms aren't that long for reaching in from the outside. Thankfully I found a fume-free spray, because that stuff could probably kill you, and sent the girls upstairs to play. Shortly after starting, I was using a stool to sit on instead of having to squat, causing me to lose circulation in my legs. Two hours and many grumblings later, my oven was glorious again! When I was done, I left it open to de-stink but mostly because I selfishly wanted Troy to see what I had used the afternoon to accomplish. Like the typical husband, he saunters through the door, greets us all with love, shuts the oven door (like it's part of his routine) and heads straight into playing a game with the girls. I am shocked and a little peeved that he either noticed the "new" oven and said nothing OR that he didn't even notice it at all. So I ask "Honey, did you see what I did this afternoon?" He panics..."uh, I'm, did you?...not sure...um....", then notices the oven racks on the counter and says "oh, did you clean the oven racks?" No, you big dummy! I cleaned the entire oven, which was SICK and disgusting! (I only thought those words in my head, did not say them out loud!) I say, "Actually...I cleaned our whole oven and was just wondering if you saw it sparkling at you when you walked through the door just now." Walks to the oven, opens it and smiles his wonderful proud-of-you-wife smile! "It looks awesome, great job honey", and shuts the oven door. After my affirmation sunk in, I opened the oven door back up so we could admire it for the next 15 mins. I actually didn't want to place our dinner inside to cook, it was such a pretty sight! And I've admired my work several times since....what an accomplishment for a holiday Monday afternoon. But as proud as I am of my "new" oven, I would love, love, love a self-cleaning one! So the second something on this puppy fails us, it'll be history for sure. Or maybe the better lesson is cleaning it when it's a little gross instead of waiting until it's a grease pit?!?! And yes, I am proud enough to include some pictures!
2 comments:
wow--look at the reflection in that!! and no wonder why God wants us to be vulnerable to the world around us and keep our door open after He moves in and scrubs us clean!! Great job, Amity, and good thing you prompted that brother of mine to notice :D
So funny!!! I completely understand!
Post a Comment