Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Wasted Time

I'm slowly but surely making my way through John Ortberg's book "When the Game is Over It All Goes Back in the Box". There are so many good thoughts and reflections in this book, but I'll just share one that I read recently...

"Every day, every second, carries with it its own finality. Time is our one indisputably nonrenewable resource. "Where did the time go?" we ask when we sense we have spent the years wrongly or have taken some great gift for granted. And the answer, of course, is that it went to the same place it always has. At the end of every day, one more box in the calendar has been shifted from the future column to the past column, from possibility to history. And all of its moments can be remembered, can be celebrated or regretted, but can never be retrieved. Life is one of those games in which you can only move forward. Life does not have a rewind button, so we must seek to get it right the first time."

In addition, my wise husband always says to me, "Everyone has 24 hours in a day, it's up to you how you spend it". Which compels me to transform each day of possibility into a great day of history because there won't be a chance to do it over again. In our stage of life right now, everything seems to move so quick. Babies become toddlers in a blink, toddlers become first graders and the years melt away so fast. And I'm sure it continues to pick up speed as the years go by. My challenge for our family is to create lasting memorable moments with the time we have and not waste the short time we've been given.

On another note, this book is fantastic. I would recommend it to anyone, I'm ashamed it has taken me so long to read it after being on our bookshelf for so long. And as we're talking about wasted time, those of you who can't spend yours reading, I promise you can read a small section each day and walk away provoked into further thought. I'm reading through this book in stolen moments, keeping it close to pull out and devour in small doses.

No comments: