Wednesday, March 18, 2009
Parenting 101 courtesy of Tristyn
This afternoon we had a few errands to run and I told the girls we'd stop by and get some chocolate milk afterwards from McDonalds. (b/c it's WAY better than the chocolate milk from school, says Tristyn) So we're in the drive-thru and I ask Maelyn if she'd like some chocolate milk and she says no. I ask a few more times, even once more during the ordering process and she declines each time. Of course once we're driving away from the window, Maelyn freaks and decides she's going to die without a chocolate milk. Normally, I would convince the girls to share, but Maelyn has been sick and that isn't possible today. So I attempt some tough love and try to reason with her that she said she didn't want any, so that's why she didn't get any. Not working! She is so upset and disgruntled that she's actually crying real tears, which doesn't happen very often with Miss Determined. I take pity on her, she's sick after all, I tell myself and offer to turn around and get her some chocolate milk. That heals all wounds and she's happy with that idea. Tristyn then pipes up from the backseat and says to me so matter-of-fact, "you know Mom, you shouldn't get so stressed out by your kids that you just turn around and give in to them". What did you just say, Super Nanny? Comical coming from a child who is the Master Manipulator in our house. But sadly she is right. Sometimes I am guilty of getting so overwhelmed by the girls that I give in to maintain the peace. And sometimes I stick to my guns too hard and strive for the ultimate rule over them. But I was humbled to be scolded by the 7 year old in the backseat who knows exactly what's going on, even if I think she doesn't!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment